Sunday, April 5, 2009

I'll admit it

I stayed in on a Saturday night. I spent most of yesterday taking care of various things for the new place -- getting a remote for the garage door, meeting with the handyman to finalize the work he will be doing this week, selecting the paint color for the bedroom, selecting the kitchen counter material, buying a light fixture for the dining room. All in all I was out for eight hours. And when I got home, I was plum tired. I also knew that I had a list of stuff to take care of today for the new place and needed to be able to awake clear-eyed. Fortunately before I left out yesterday, I had the foresight to set the DVR to tape one of my fave channels -- VH1. Yep. All five hours of the top 100 One-Hit Wonders of the 80s. And so now I present you with some of my absolute faves from the series.


I think that this one needs no explanation.


It was almost a theme for the years that I lived in the San Diego area. And I have always loved Stan Ridgeway's song for the Rumblefish soundtrack. Oh, and don't get me started on that fabulous score by Stewart Copeland.


If this didn't make you move your butt, then I don't know what will. Just as infectious today as it was back then.


This song summed up my religious feelings in the 80s. Recent events have made me want to start to start belting this one out at the top of my lungs at times. Not there completely yet but pretty damn close. Oh. And I already loved the band before this song came out. "Love on a Farmboy's Wages" still haunts me.

I was going to include this absolute fave of mine by Edie Brickell but apparently embedding is not allowed so if you want to hear it, click through.


I don't know about you but just about every girl I knew in the 80s thought that this was one of the most romantic songs out there. We dreamed of having some guy ask us to dance to this and have him sing along. Instead, I dated the bass player of a cover band. He sang lead on "Great Balls o' Fire" at shows. And in the car we would sing along to "Fly on the Windscreen" together. (Hmmm. I remember thinking yesterday at some point that "Fly on the Windscreen" should be a part of the current soundtrack of my life.)

And today? I did not let the fun end. One of the songs on the list was Quarterflash's "Harden My Heart." I was always a bit more partial to "Find Another Fool" though. So I pulled it up on my iTunes and hit the Genius button. I love how that Genius button knows me so well. I ended up with a mix of Quarterflash with The Fixx, Marshall Crenshaw, Joe Jackson, Simple Minds, The Kinks, Elvis Costello, Rush, The Tubes, and the Divinyls to name a few. Life was feeling pretty good.

Because that's how I've been coping. Keeping busy with the move and listening to some old favorites. And I am now officially done with death. I hope death got that message. If not? There just may be some hell to pay.

0 comments:

Post a Comment